Mara River Tented Camp
Accommodation & Amenities
Inside the camp, contemporary chic sets the tone for cool relaxation; raw leather blends, Maasai colours and elegant art by young African designers and craftsmen.
- 4 x 1-bedroom en-suite tents
- 2 x family tents (2 adults and 2 children)
- There is a plunge pool in the main camp.
- There is no television at this camp.
- There is complimentary internet (WiFi) access, however due to the remote location of the lodge, the wireless connection can be slow and intermittent.
- Electricity/power available: Solar-powered, with international plug points and gently-powered.
- Children aged 10 and over are welcome. There are babysitting services available and tailor-made activities to suit each family.
- Children’s participation in game activities is at the discretion of your guide.
Tour our Guest Suites
Double/Twin; Maximum 2 guests
USD 1 325 per child per night
USD 1 150 per child per night
USD 910 per child per night
2 Doubles/Twins; Maximum 4 guests
USD 1 325 per additional guest per night
USD 1 150 per additional guest per night
USD 910 per additional guest per night
- quoted in US Dollars (USD / $),
- inclusive of tax, and
- subject to change without prior notice as a result of periodic notifications from the relevant authorities.
- All meals and beverages (including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne)
- Twice-daily game drives in open game-viewing vehicles
- Return road transfers between the Serengeti Lamai airstrip and the camp
- Very limited laundry service. Small amounts done on-site (24-hour turnaround); large amounts done off-site (72-hour turnaround)
- Wildlife Fee, Park Fee, Concession Fee, Tourism Development Levy
- Purchases from the Singita Boutique & Gallery
- French Champagne
- Massage treatments
- Any additional activities not mentioned above
- Singita Serengeti House: Day Use Rate (applicable for early check-in & late check-out)
- Transport to and from Singita Grumeti or Singita Lamai.
The camp is open all year except in March and April
Check-in time: 13h00
Check-out time: 11h00
Encountering Africa’s magnificent wildlife is a truly life-changing experience, no matter what one’s age, and time spent at Singita Mara River Tented Camp makes for an unforgettable family holiday. Filled with discovery and shared connections within nature, it’s an ideal opportunity to open children’s eyes to the wonders of an untouched wilderness.
All activities at the camp are tailored to specifically suit the interests of each family. In the interest of safety, children may participate in game drives and bush walks at the discretion of dedicated Field Guides. The camp also offers childminding services, as well as an array of activities to keep little ones engaged and entertained.
Our exciting Mini Rangers Course is a customised, fun-filled programme that opens up a whole new world to young explorers. It includes learning how to track animals; astronomy; bush survival techniques; game-, tree- and bird-spotting competitions as well as nature quizzes.
Children aged 10 years and older are welcome at Singita Mara River Tented Camp.
More children’s activities offered:
- Cooking interactions
- Board games
- Bush walks (minimum age 16)
- Activity booklets with a variety of games, quizzes and games
- Arts & crafts
Please phone our Serengeti reception and you will be redirected to the lodge or camp you wish to contact.
Tel: +1 770 947 7049/98
For booking enquiries, please reach out to our reservations team in cape Town, South Africa.
- Tel: +27 (0)21 683 3424
- Direct Guests: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agents: email@example.com
Weather & What to Pack
Seasons in the Serengeti
East Africa is equatorial so the climate is fairly constant and it is a year-round destination. Tanzania has a light rain season from November to March. This period is known as the ‘short rains’, often no more than a quick downpour each day, followed by clear sunshine. From December to March the weather becomes increasingly warmer with the ‘long rains’ occurring between April and May.
To ensure your comfort you may want to tailor your clothing choices to the time of year:
October – April:
Casual summer clothing (shorts and lightweight shirts) with a warm jersey or sweater for the cooler morning and evening temperatures.
May – September:
Casual lightweight clothing with a very warm parka or windbreaker jacket for the very cold mornings and nights.
WHAT TO PACK
Your safari bag, packed properly, will ensure that you have everything you need for the ultimate African bush experience. Cotton clothing in neutral colours such as green, khaki and grey is recommended for game drives and bush walks. It is advisable to avoid white and dark colours as they tend to attract bugs. If it rains during a game drive, waterproof ponchos will be provided. No formal wear is required at any of our lodges
To ensure a comfortable safari experience, we recommend that you bring the following:
- Comfortable walking or track shoes, or hiking boots for walks as well as sandals to wear around the lodge.
- Activewear if you plan on using the facilities at the fitness centre or your private in-room fitness area.
- A swimming costume or bathing suit, sun block, sun hat, sunglasses, lip balm, mosquito repellent. (Lip balm and insect repellent will be provided, but if you prefer a particular brand, you are welcome to bring it along.)
- Video camera, camera, binoculars and extra memory cards.
- Please note that in the event of rain during a game drive, waterproof ponchos will be provided.
- All of our lodges are located in remote areas and therefore guests should remember to bring an extra pair of correction glasses (if required), contact lens solution and an extra set of contact lenses (if required) as well as a sufficient supply of any prescription medication.
Luggage Restrictions - Grumeti Air
- Checked luggage: 15kg (33lb)
- Hand luggage: 5 kg (11lb)
- Only soft-sided luggage is accepted (duffel bag)
Please consult your doctor or physician before travelling to Singita.
- Malaria: Singita Grumeti is situated in a malaria-risk area. It is therefore essential that you consult your medical practitioner regarding anti-malaria requirements prior to your trip.
- Vaccinations: Guests are strongly advised to check the latest information with regard to vaccinations for travel to Tanzania with their local travel clinic or travel agent.
- COVID-19: Your health is our top priority and Singita’s well-informed measures address all concerns travellers may have surrounding COVID-19. In line with the latest recommendations from leading authorities like the World Health Organization, our protocols ensure safe environments and experiences throughout your stay. Please check the latest travel advisory to ensure that you are prepared for all special COVID-19 travel requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: Requirements change from time to time. Although we endeavour to stay updated, Singita cannot be held liable for any incorrect or outdated information and we strongly advise guests to always consult their GP and/or travel clinic regarding the latest requirements prior to departure.
All travellers require a passport valid for 6 months after arrival as well as at least 2 blank visa pages in your passport for travel.
Maps & Directions
While it is possible to drive to our lodges and camps in Singita Grumeti and Lamai, we strongly recommend flying for a more efficient and enjoyable travel experience.
- We can arrange scheduled flights or private charters for your trip.
- All flights land at Serengeti Lamai airstrip. On arrival, guests are met by a Singita staff member and driven to Mara River Tented Camp (45 min).
- On scheduled flights, the weight of luggage is restricted to 15kg (33lb) for checked baggage. Only soft-sided luggage is permitted.
- Kilimanjaro – Singita: approximately 1 hr 45 minutes (via Sasakwa airstrip)
- Arusha – Singita: approximately 1 hr 30 minutes (via Sasakwa airstrip)
Grumeti Air makes it quicker, easier and safer than ever before for Singita’s guests to seamlessly connect to one of Africa’s most iconic wilderness areas. The airline allows the renowned Singita experience to commence as soon as your journey across Tanzania begins, putting you in the hands of our expert team from start to finish.
Added benefits for those travelling with our partner airline include the convenience and time-saving offered by Grumeti Air. With daily direct flights from Arusha to Singita Sasakwa via Kilimanjaro, guests don’t experience the usual delay of stopping off at other airstrips along the way.
The uninterrupted journey to Singita’s 350,000-acre concession in Grumeti from Tanzania’s main travel hubs means less time in the air and more time enjoying the expansive plains of the Serengeti. For guests travelling further north to Singita Mara River Tented Camp, it’s just a scenic, 15-minute hop to the spectacular Lamai Triangle from there.
- The Grumeti Air fleet comprises two turboprop Cessna Grand Caravans, each carrying up to 12 passengers and flown by a team of two highly qualified and experienced pilots.
- With 30,000 hours of flying time under the belts of our captains and their co-pilots, as well as impeccable safety records throughout, every aspect of the journey to and from your Singita safari can be enjoyed in complete comfort.
- Every flight also comes with the warm, personalised service that Singita is known for, making you feel right at home as you take to the skies.
Private charter flights are also available.
Being committed to conservation, Grumeti Air is now offsetting its aviation fuel carbon emissions. In April 2019, the airline signed a carbon-reduction agreement with social enterprise Carbon Tanzania. Grumeti Air submits monthly flying hours enabling Carbon Tanzania to calculate the related carbon emissions. Grumeti Air is then billed and these funds are reinvested in carbon-reducing projects run by Carbon Tanzania. Carbon Tanzania is certified by Plan Vivo, a third party organisation that certifies the offsets are real, measurable, permanent and benefit indigenous communities. A Carbon Smart certification is awarded to Grumeti Air in recognition of this commitment. Visit www.carbontanzania.com for more information.
* The carbon off-set fees are borne by Grumeti Air, and not recharged to guests on GA tickets or invoices.