Accommodation & Amenities
Singita Kataza House is set within a landscape of wetlands and lush meadows with magnificent views of the Sabyinyo, Gahinga and Muhabura volcanoes.
Designed around local materials, the use of volcanic rock, river stone, handmade ceramic tiles and oven-red clay bricks made by surrounding communities connect the villa to the landscape and its culture. These influences are interpreted in a contemporary style and entirely unique architectural layout.
Mountain bamboo, ferns, giant lobelias and forest trees provide a natural backdrop that over time will engulf the buildings and reclaim them back into the forest. Dramatic stone walls rise out of the volcanic boulders and a combination of green-roofed, stonewalled, organic cabin-like structures set alongside light verandas offers a dynamic play on shape and texture.
The interiors have been carefully curated with a focus on handcrafted details. By layering texture and colour and introducing detail through artisanal and handmade pieces like woven panels, handmade tiles, and clay feature pots, the spaces are both reflective and interactive. All elements combine to create a rare and richly textured experience that is true to this extraordinary place.
While completely private, the villa is set alongside Singita Kwitonda Lodge. Guests at Kataza House enjoy access to all facilities and amenities at the lodge, which offers additional spaces for convivial relaxing, entertaining and dining.
The villa sleeps eight people in four bedrooms and amenities include:
- Full staff complement, including a private chef and host
- Indoor baths; indoor and outdoor showers
- Interactive open-plan kitchen
- Open living and dining spaces
- Indoor and outdoor fireplaces
- Cinema room
- Fitness centre
- Small wine cellar
- Larger heated pool and smaller heated pool off master bedroom
- Massage treatment room (guests can also enjoy in-room treatments)
- On-site Akarabo Nursery and farm-to-table garden
- Complimentary WiFi
- Children of all ages are welcome at the villa, but please note that the minimum age for gorilla trekking is 15
- Access to all facilities and amenities at Singita Kwitonda Lodge
Tour our Guest Suites
1 Master Suite (Double) + 3 Doubles/Twins; Maximum 8 guests
USD 17 750 per house per night (5-8 guests)
USD 12 600 per house per night (5-8 guests)
- quoted in United States Dollars (USD)
- inclusive of Value Added Tax (VAT) at 18% and are subject to change
Accommodation at Kataza House includes:
- Accommodation All meals and beverages (including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne)
- House manager, chef and house staff
- Laundry service
- WiFi access where applicable
- Tourism Development Levy
- Purchases from the Singita Boutique & Gallery
- French Champagne
- Massage treatments
- Any day trips or transfers to and from Singita Volcanoes National Park
- Any transfers to and from the lodge
- Any additional activities not mentioned above
- Permits for gorilla-trekking, golden monkey treks, or any other activities not mentioned above (rates are subject to change)
- Singita Kataza House: Day Use Rate (applicable for early check-in & late checkout)
Check-in / out Times
• Check-in time: 1pm.
• Check-out time: 10am.
• Guests wishing to check in before 1pm and/or check out after 10am are required to book an additional night at the Day Use Rate.
No activities at Volcanoes National Park can be booked on the day of departure from Singita Kataza House. This includes gorilla trekking, golden monkey treks, hikes to the volcanoes and the hike to Dian Fossey’s gravesite. These activities usually don’t allow enough time for guests to return to the villa to freshen up before their departure. As Singita Volcanoes National Park doesn’t offer day-use facilities, guests wishing to participate in Park activities on their last day need to book an additional night.
Encountering the untamed wilderness and magnificent wildlife of Africa is a truly lifechanging experience, no matter what one’s age, and time spent at Singita Kataza House makes for an unforgettable family holiday. It’s a destination that is sure to open a child’s eye to the beauty and wonders of the continent and the natural world.
All activities at the villa are tailored to specifically suit the interests of each family. The minimum age requirement for gorilla trekking is 15, but the villa offers childminding services, as well as an array of activities to keep little ones engaged and entertained.
Children’s activities offered:
- Cooking interactions
- Board games
- Activity booklets with a variety of games, quizzes and games
- Arts & crafts
- Akarabo Nursery and garden tour
- Golden monkey treks (for children over 12 years)
Please phone our central reception and you will be redirected to Singita Kwitonda Lodge or Kataza House.
Tel: +27 870 942 710 or +250 252 553 700
For booking enquiries, please reach out to our reservations team in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Tel: +27 (0)21 683 3424
- Direct Guests: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agents: email@example.com
Rwanda has a temperate tropical highland climate, with lower temperatures than are typical for equatorial countries due to its high elevation.
Singita Volcanoes National Park is situated approximately 2,600 metres above sea level on the foothills of the Virunga Mountains and experiences chillier temperatures compared to lower-lying areas.
The average temperature at Singita Volcanoes National Park is approximately 15°C (59°F) and the humidity can be quite high.
The long rainy season lasts from March to May, when the rain is heavy and persistent. The long dry season is from June to mid-September. October to November is a shorter rainy season; followed by a short dry season from December to February.
Rwanda can be visited at any time of the year and gorilla trekking is a year-round activity. Singita Volcanoes National Park’s covered golf carts have waterproof roller blinds and transport guests seamlessly from the main lodge to their suites when it rains.
We recommend packing the following
For the lodge:
- Pants, long-sleeved tops, T-shirts, a warm layer for the evenings, comfortable walking shoes/track shoes, sandals, a swimming costume/bathing suit, sun hat and sunglasses. (Hats are provided for guests to use during their stay.) No formal wear is required at any of our lodges.
- Cotton clothing in neutral colours for outdoor walks and cycling. It’s advisable to avoid white and dark colours as they tend to attract bugs.
- Sun block, lip balm and mosquito repellent. (These products are provided, but you are welcome to bring your own preferred brand).
- Video camera, camera, binoculars and a spare memory card. (Each suite is equipped with a pair of binoculars to use during your stay, but you’re welcome to also pack your own.)
Conditions on treks vary and it’s best to be prepared for rainy and muddy conditions. Be sure to pack waterproof hiking boots with a good grip and ankle support, hiking chaps, gloves, a waterproof jacket/raincoat, hiking pants, thick socks to protect you against stinging nettles, gloves and long-sleeved tops.
Singita Kwitonda Lodge provides:
Complimentary comfort kits containing items such as sun cream, a sweat towel, tissues, a buff (required by Rwandan Parks) and brown sanitary/toilet eco-bags. Guests also receive a loaned backpack containing a lunchbox, snacks and a water bottle.
Technical trekking gear
The following items for outdoor hiking and wet weather are available in the Gear Room at the main lodge. Guests can borrow these during their stay:
- Hiking chaps/gators – worn over shoes to just under the knee, protecting you against stinging nettles.
- A backpack (including a lunchbox) and rain cover.
- Trekking poles. Guests can also borrow or purchase locally made and carved poles from porters in Volcanoes National Park.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The use of drones is strictly prohibited throughout Rwanda. Luggage is checked on arrival and drones may be confiscated at the discretion of customs officials.
- Malaria: All of Singita’s properties are situated in malaria-risk areas. It is therefore essential that guests consult their medical practitioners regarding anti-malaria requirements prior to travel.
- Yellow Fever: Yellow Fever certification is required when travelling from, or passing through, yellow fever endemic countries. Kenya and Rwanda are considered to be endemic countries.
- COVID-19: Your health is our top priority and Singita’s well-informed measures address all concerns travellers may have surrounding COVID-19. In line with the latest recommendations from leading authorities like the World Health Organization, our protocols ensure safe environments and experiences throughout your stay. Please check the latest travel advisory to ensure that you are prepared for all special COVID-19 travel requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: Requirements change from time to time. Although we endeavour to stay updated, Singita cannot be held liable for any incorrect or outdated information and we strongly advise guests to always consult their GP and/or travel clinic regarding the latest requirements prior to departure.
All travellers require a passport valid for 6 months after arrival as well as at least 2 blank visa pages in your passport for travel.
Your Journey to Reach Singita Volcanoes National Park
International flights arrive at Rwanda’s capital city, Kigali.
- Singita Volcanoes National Park can either be accessed by a 30-minute helicopter flight or a 3-hour road transfer from Kigali.
- The drive is wonderfully scenic, but quite winding and hilly. Guests are therefore advised to pack motion sickness tablets, if needed.
- It’s also important to note that there’s only one public rest stop on the way.
- Direct flights from Singita Grumeti in Tanzania to Kigali are available.
- There are also good connections on Rwanda Air between Kigali and Cape Town/Johannesburg in South Africa. This makes Singita Volcanoes National Park an excellent destination in combination with other wilderness destinations in Africa.
Please note that guests are required to book and pay for a Driver Guide and vehicle for every day of their stay at Singita Volcanoes National Park to facilitate all activities as well as transfers to and from Kigali. Having a Driver Guide and vehicle ensures flexibility so that guests can plan their days according to preference.