Breakfast at Singita is a very special time of day. Usually served after the early morning game drive, the menu includes fresh, homemade pastries, eggs cooked to order, a variety of cereals, a fruit, cheese and cold meat selection, hot pancakes and even a breakfast pizza! It’s easy to indulge, but for the more restrained among us, there are plenty of light, healthy options like this delicious granola. Today, head sous chef at Singita Kruger National Park, Andrew Nicholson, shares his recipe which is perfect for a hearty breakfast or a tasty afternoon snack:
SINGITA SWENI LODGE GRANOLA RECIPE
Ingredients – what you will need:
1 cup bran flakes
1 cup corn flakes
1 cup puffed rice
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup linseeds
1 cup poppy seeds
1 cup honey
1 cup butter
Method – what to do:
1. Melt the butter and the honey together in a small saucepan over a low heat
2. Pour the mixture over the other ingredients while still warm and mix well
3. Bake at 120°C for about 2 hours, checking and stirring regularly. It can burn easily so keep an eye on it!
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
5. Serve with fresh, seasonal fruit, your favourite yoghurt and a drizzle of honey.
Looking for more breakfast ideas? We also have a recipe for seed bars served at Singita Sasakwa Lodge in the Serengeti, and a traditional strawberry jam that is best served with fresh buttermilk scones!