Rwanda has a temperate tropical highland climate, with lower temperatures than are typical for equatorial countries due to its high elevation.
Singita Volcanoes National Park is situated approximately 2,600 metres above sea level on the foothills of the Virunga Mountains and experiences chillier temperatures compared to lower-lying areas.
The average temperature at Singita Volcanoes National Park is approximately 15°C (59°F) and the humidity can be quite high.
The long rainy season lasts from March to May, when the rain is heavy and persistent. The long dry season is from June to mid-September. October to November is a shorter rainy season; followed by a short dry season from December to February.
Rwanda can be visited at any time of the year and gorilla trekking is a year-round activity. Singita Volcanoes National Park’s covered golf carts have waterproof roller blinds and transport guests seamlessly from the main lodge to their suites when it rains.
We recommend packing the following
For the lodge:
- Pants, long-sleeved tops, T-shirts, a warm layer for the evenings, comfortable walking shoes/track shoes, sandals, a swimming costume/bathing suit, sun hat and sunglasses. (Hats are provided for guests to use during their stay.) No formal wear is required at any of our lodges.
- Cotton clothing in neutral colours for outdoor walks and cycling. It’s advisable to avoid white and dark colours as they tend to attract bugs.
- Sun block, lip balm and mosquito repellent. (These products are provided, but you are welcome to bring your own preferred brand).
- Video camera, camera, binoculars and a spare memory card. (Each suite is equipped with a pair of binoculars to use during your stay, but you’re welcome to also pack your own.)
Conditions on treks vary and it’s best to be prepared for rainy and muddy conditions. Be sure to pack waterproof hiking boots with a good grip and ankle support, hiking chaps, gloves, a waterproof jacket/raincoat, hiking pants, thick socks to protect you against stinging nettles, gloves and long-sleeved tops.
Singita Kwitonda Lodge provides:
Complimentary comfort kits containing items such as sun cream, a sweat towel, tissues, a buff (required by Rwandan Parks) and brown sanitary/toilet eco-bags. Guests also receive a loaned backpack containing a lunchbox, snacks and a water bottle.
Technical trekking gear
The following items for outdoor hiking and wet weather are available in the Gear Room at the main lodge. Guests can borrow these during their stay:
- Hiking chaps/gators – worn over shoes to just under the knee, protecting you against stinging nettles.
- Gloves, for protection against stinging nettles.
- Waterproof jackets with removable fleece inner linings.
- Technical quick-dry hiking pants.
- A backpack (including a lunchbox) and rain cover.
- Trekking poles. Guests can also borrow or purchase locally made and carved poles from porters in Volcanoes National Park.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The use of drones is strictly prohibited throughout Rwanda. Luggage is checked on arrival and drones may be confiscated at the discretion of customs officials.