The long, hot days of summer have arrived in the Southern hemisphere, along with plenty of bright sunshine and lazy afternoons spent by the pool. Guests at Singita Castleton have been enjoying a special summer sundowner courtesy of the lodge’s amukeri, Michelle Loftus.
Michelle has put her creative talents to good use, coming up with an icy twist on a classic cocktail to delight and refresh our visitors. This zingy gin and tonic sorbet is the perfect way to end the day, whether served as a palate cleanser before the evening meal or an after-dinner treat. Here’s the very simple recipe for you to try at home this weekend:
Gin & Tonic Sorbet Recipe
Ingredients – what you will need:
175g (6oz) caster sugar
450ml (¾ pint) tonic water
450ml (¾ pint) water
6 tablespoons gin
Juice and zest of 2 limes
Method – what to do:
1. Dissolve the sugar and water in a pan over a moderate heat, stirring constantly.
2. Add lime juice and zest and boil for 5 minutes or until the mixture reaches 110°C (225°F).
3. Leave to cool then strain.
4. Stir tonic water and gin into the lime mixture, then pour into a freezer-proof dish and freeze until slushy.
5. Beat the mixture to break up the ice crystals, then freeze again.
6. Repeat the process once more and then freeze until set.
7. To serve, remove from the freezer 10 minutes beforehand and decorate with slices of lime and sprigs of mint in sundae glasses.
Serves approximately 6-8 people.
Are you a gin lover? So are we! Discover our recipe for the Perfect G&T in this post, or give this traditional tipple some fruity flavour with Singita Sasakwa Lodge‘s Blueberry Gin Royale recipe.