The senior sous chef is fully responsible for the management of the kitchen under the head chef and assumes complete responsibility for the kitchen in his/her absence. The main purpose of the senior sous chef is to ensure that the kitchen is supervised and that quality food is produced in a hygienic environment, in line with the required Singita standards. Portion control must be exercised according to the number of guests dining and stock rotation in terms of the mise-en-place used in preparation of dishes.
Skills & Experience
- A minimum of 5 years management experience in a medium sized kitchen
- Matric qualification
- Professional cookery qualification
- Assertiveness, patience and good organizational skills
- Understanding of kitchen procedure and timing requirements and be able to plan accordingly
- Passion for cheffing and kitchen-related duties
- Good communication skills
- The ability to implement and maintain health and hygiene procedures
- Knowledge of safety procedures and the use of fire-fighting equipment
- First-Aid training
- The ability to deal with constructive criticism and present healthy, innovative and modern dishes
Core to the success of the individual in this role is that their personal values are aligned with Singita’s.
- Business Sense
- Attention to Detail
- Team Player
- Commitment to Quality
- Quick Decisions
- Development of staff
- Handle Criticism
Work style and approach:
- Curious and passionate about our industry,
- A collaborative working style
- Has a flexible approach
- Has a sophisticated approach to communicating via the various channels
- A quick learner
In broad terms the sous chef oversees the following key result areas:
- Supervision and training of the kitchen staff in line with the Singita Standard.
- Preparation of food, in line with Singita Standards of Excellence.
- Effective guest interaction to enhance guest satisfaction.
- Effective management of staff canteens.
- Administration of orders to minimize shortages and wastage and effective stock control.
- Ensuring that the cleanliness and hygiene of the kitchen is of the highest standard.
- Correct use and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
- Maintaining fridges and stores to the highest hygiene and stock rotation standards.
- Communication with kitchen and lodge front of house staff to ensure the smooth running of the department.
- Achieving service excellence though Teamwork.
To apply for this role, please email your CV to email@example.com