Singita’s non-profit conservation partner, the Grumeti Fund, in Tanzania has a vacancy for Project Officer – Education.
The Fund works with more than 20 villages to enhance access to quality education, teach environmental awareness and support the establishment of small enterprises. The Grumeti Fund’s presence in the communities builds relationships and strengthens partnerships, while addressing shared concerns.
A multi-disciplined individual tasked with implementing the Education program activities for the Grumeti Fund within Bunda and Serengeti districts of Mara Region, Tanzania. This implementation includes the operational day-to-day running of the program that covers holistic education (scholarships, mentorship, internships and life-skills training), English immersion training, girl’s empowerment and engagement with partner organizations.
Manage a holistic scholarship program that includes:
- Advertise, identify and support Grumeti Fund scholarship recipients.
- Train student mentors and create appropriate mentor/mentee matches.
- Identify student internship requirements and make placements in appropriate departments and companies.
- Organize and conduct life skills training for scholarship recipients.
- Maintain an up-to-date list of companies (and their contact details) for scholarship recipients who are looking for job placements.
Oversee the implementation of the English immersion program, which includes:
- English teacher training – identify training candidates, coordinate logistics with training facilitators and provide follow-up support to teachers for continued growth.
- English immersion camps – identify camp attendees, coordinate all logistics for camps and monitor changes in academic results pre- and post- camp to measure the impact of the activity.
Design and implement the girl empowerment program:
- Coordinate the annual competition for local girl leaders.
- Organize all logistics surrounding girl empowerment events including guest speakers, venue, transportation, materials and food.
- Hold focus group discussions with girls to better understand their barriers to education and ways in which the Grumeti Fund can better support them to stay in school.
Foster close working relationships with key partners, including but not limited to the ministry of education, school heads, teachers, Peace Corps, Concordia Language Villages.
All administrative tasks, including monitoring, record keeping and report writing (quarterly and ad hoc as required by the Grumeti Fund).
Other relevant activities as requested by supervisor.
Skills, Education, Experience & Minimum Criteria
- A Bachelor’s degree in education, community development or a related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience teaching, community development work or a similar area.
- Must possess a good all-round understanding and passion for education. Although experience as a teacher is not an express requirement, it is preferred.
- Should be familiar with the education system in Tanzania.
- Experience in project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation as well as analytical skills.
- Experience in facilitating training sessions and capacity building.
- Experience in education and girl’s empowerment, and a good understanding of issues related to these areas is a plus.
- Fluent in both English and Kiswahili and ability and willingness to work with rural communities in their own rural environment.
- Computer literate specifically in the use of Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Proven communication skills, i.e. oral communication, report writing and presentation skills.
- Experience and or willingness to live and work in remote rural areas.
- A valid vehicle driving license.
- Highly engaged team player with strong collaborative spirit.
- The proven ability to work independently, without supervision, while delivering on project outcomes and deadlines.
- A defined ability to build and maintain effective people relationships.
- Strong solutioning capability and pro-active need to solution around problems.
- Out-of-the box thinking and creativity.
- Good attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines.
- Open to change and to new opportunities to learn.
- Not afraid of confrontation and challenging people engagement.
- Ability to take constructive criticism and take corrective action to make improvement.
- Emotional maturity and ability to take ownership and accountability.
Please send your application to the email Jobapplications@grumeti.singita.com. The application deadline is 13th March 2019 and only SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please include in your application a:
- Cover letter,
- Curriculum vitae with name and telephone contacts of three referees, and
- Copies of relevant certificates.
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.