The main purpose of the assistant lodge manager is to assist the lodge manager in managing the lodge and, by doing so, creating a profound guest experience, which is in line with the service, vision and creative concepts of the lodge. This position is accountable to the Lodge Manager for this.
It is the responsibility of the assistant lodge manager to monitor the hospitality service, maintenance, gardening and housekeeping standards within the lodge.
In this capacity, guest expectations regarding the standard of service should be exceeded. In addition, the lodge needs to be monitored so that it operates in a cost effective manner, remaining within the agreed budget; as well as in a manner which is conducive to positive inter-personal relationships between staff and at a superior level of efficiency.
The assistant lodge manager is also responsible for ensuring that the morale of the lodge staff is kept at a high level and that staff are developed on an ongoing basis.
Finally, the assistant lodge manager must provide a written hand over of responsibilities in his/her absence and ensure that a full handover is received on his/her return.
Core to the success of the individual in this role is that their personal values are aligned with Singita’s.
- A relationship builder by nature
- A mature approach to life in general
- Passionate about the business and detail
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed
- Comfortable assuming ownership for their role in the business
- Naturally intuitive
- Passionate about sustainability and “giving back”
- Works comfortably under pressure
- Is comfortable with change
Work style and approach:
- Curious and passionate about our industry,
- A collaborative working style
- Has a flexible approach
- Has a sophisticated approach to communicating via the various channels
- A quick learner
Skills & Experience
- A minimum of 4 year’s work experience – ideally 2 years as a trainee and in a well-recognized five star hotel or world class lodge, as an assistant manager
- Exceptional Food and Beverage knowledge
- Financial management ability
- A hardworking, co-operative manner
- High standards of service excellence and a passion for the industry
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional English and a second language would be preferable
- Good computer literacy
- Excellent management ability and communication skills
- A clear understanding of basic labour law and disciplinary procedures
- A developmental approach to staff
- Assertiveness, patience and good organizational skills
- Understanding of housekeeping and maintenance procedures
- An awareness of developments within the food and lodge industries, as well as international trends in hospitality
- Management and training of the lodge staff in line with the Singita Standard of Excellence
- Ensure ultimate guest relations in the lodge and that the “at home” personal attention levels are maintained
- Maintain the highest standards of housekeeping and maintenance and ensure that style and design is not eroded
- Effective financial management through the administration of orders and effective stock control
- Effective communication and maintenance of lodge relations
- Management of the night porters (SL)
To apply for this role, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the application on our website!