The instinct of wild dogs (Lycaon pictus) urges them to travel vast distances. In South Africa a pack has been recorded to have a home range of 1 100km square kilometres (271 815 acres) in the Kruger National Park.
Our Malilangwe WildlifeReserve is enormous compared to other privately-owned reserves, yet at 501 square kilometres (124 000 acres) the pack of wild dogs we consider “our own” still finds the need to go beyond the safety of our continually patrolled boundaries from time to time.
This need for huge home ranges is the biggest threat facing these endangered carnivores because beyond the protection of sanctuaries they face death in a number of ways, including being killed on public roads, catching diseases from domestic dogs and being caught in snares.
- Average Minimum:19°C (66°F)10°C (50°F)
- Average Maximum:23°C (73°F)
- Minimum Recorded:08°C (32°F)
- Maximum Recorded:29°C (84°F)
- For the period:18 mm (1 in)
- For the year to date:298 mm (12 in)